It Ain’t About the Money, Honey
(The Truth about Happiness and How to Finally Find It)
The myth: “I’ll be happy when [insert weight loss/finance/romance/career goal here.” The reality: Happiness is the journey, not the destination. In fact, thanks something known as hedonic adaptation, scientists have discovered that the average bliss-boost from any external source is about ninety days; after that, we go immediately back to our pre-score levels of happiness. Conversely and fortuitously, the same is true of misfortune. (Sound like bullshit? Consider a now-famous study found that after devastating accidents that confine people to wheelchairs for life, paraplegics return to pre-catastrophe levels of happiness within a year. THINK ABOUT THAT.) Want more joy in your life? This talk is for you.
- Why happiness levels tend to plummet in midlife (crisis, anyone?) and what you can do to turn the tide
- The one thing you can do right now—and every single day—to dramatically improve your outlook on life
- Why Facebook is a misery-maker in disguise and what you can do about it
- The truth about going to bed angry (it’s not what you think)
- Why a good plan today really is better (and makes you happier) than a perfect plan tomorrow
- The bottom line on the mysterious “happiness set point”
- Why you need to stop what you are doing this minute and EAT SOME CHOCOLATE
- The critical difference between fun and happiness (they are NOT the same thing)
- How to finally and fully grasp the reality that happiness is a choice—and learn how to make it
- The secret power of “flow” and how to harness it for mind-blowing joy (really)
- Gobs more!